Report from Hyde Park Calling

Maggiemags

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, I'm extremely thrilled that you had a great time, and that Gareth did too, by the looks of it. :D

Secondly: Thank you for the amazing clip. It's great! I could hear it fine! :D

He was having a ball. :wub:

The sound was much better there than it was when I played the clip back on my computer. I don't think my rubbishy camera has a good enough microphone to pick up the full range.

My hubby suddenly caught a glimpe of Gareth on the side ( I did not see him),

Loved your report Khelda and so glad you enjoyed yourself. Was surprised and glad that hubby was with you. Is that a first? Wonder did he talk about the performance? Would be interseted to know what he thought as a non-fan - though maybe you have hauled him on board too now?! :shocked:

Loved your report Khelda and so glad you enjoyed yourself. Was surprised and glad that hubby was with you. Is that a first? Wonder did he talk about the performance? Would be interseted to know what he thought as a non-fan - though maybe you have hauled him on board too now?! :shocked:

Hubby said Gareth was great and he enjoyed it very much Shellcool, but then he likes Gareth and thinks he has a great voice, but it was an exception yesterday him coming along just so I could get there. :D

He even told me he was ready to catch the towel for me, lol

Hubby said Gareth was great and he enjoyed it very much Shellcool, but then he likes Gareth and thinks he has a great voice, but it was an exception yesterday him coming along just so I could get there. :D

He even told me he was ready to catch the towel for me, lol

Bless him :heart:

Just read your report Khelda. It's super. Wish I could have been there but there's no way I can stand for that long these days even if I could get there.

I thought about Gareth when it came time for him to be on stage but I knew he would give agreat performance.He always has.

I'm so happy for Gareth that it went brilliantly and happy for everyone off the boards who had such a great time.

I've just watch your video Snowdrop.Thankyou, it gave me the essence of the gig.

Thanks for your great report Khelda.

Thanks too Snowdrop for the video of SITS. Your estimation of a few thousand in the tent is such good news. These live performances are so important and will gradually chip away at the incorrect perceptions of Gareth by some people far more than tv interviews will. Gareth himself has said it will take time and this chance to perform is a big step in the right direction for recognition of his musical talents.

I was there too :thumbsup: gareth was so amazing. great reports khelda and snowdrop, can just agree lol!

I was at the front, on the right! Me, my brother and my dad loved it. Not only girls liked it, the man next to us shouted too hehe.

sorry khelda i didnt know it was you who came and spoke to us :blush: it was nice to meet you though :D

I think both aspects of Gareth's promotion work together. I'm sure half the people were in the tent because their interest in Gareth was raised having seen him on shows like Graham Norton, and that a lot of those people, who might not consider themselves fans, gave him a warm reception, because he has come across so well on such shows.

I hope he has many more opportunities like Saturday's one. He proved to those present that he does have what it takes to entertain that type of audience. :thumbsup:

These live performances are so important and will gradually chip away at the incorrect perceptions of Gareth by some people far more than tv interviews will. Gareth himself has said it will take time and this chance to perform is a big step in the right direction for recognition of his musical talents.

Absolutely :thumbsup:

I'm not sure how to make this smaller to get it onto YouTube, but I have managed to upload this clip of Gareth singing New Kid in town. Sorry, the sound didn't record that well, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it anyway. :laugh:

But be warned, it's a very big file - 132MB! And if anyone can reduce it in size to below 100MB, can you please do so. :thumbsup:

*Right click to download*

Can't really add anything more to what's already been said, except that I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it and I still haven't come back down to earth yet.

Gareth got a fantastic reception and there were no bad reactions at all as far as I could see. I turned around several times (just managing to drag my eyes away from the stage) and just about everyone was totally engrossed in what they were hearing.

Thanks to everyone who have made such detailed reports and to Snowdrop for posting up the video clips. It feels like I'm still there watching him.

We're all in for a real treat tomorrow when we get hold of the album :thumbsup:

Guest GarethsHotChick

Thank You for the video of Gareth singing New Kid In Town at Hyde Park yesterday Snowdrop, I :heart: it and Gareth looks like he is really getting into it when he's singing it. Can't wait to hear it tomorrow when I download his album. :smile: :hyper:

Thanks to our camerapeople and reporters for wanting to get info for others to share so quick.

I was actually with the cameraperson, but selfishly left her to do the videoing while I enjoyed the performance!

Finishing with a rocky version of SITS which apparently went down really well with everyone singing along

It was a brilliant performance of all the tracks but SITS rocked the crowd. I never in my wildest dreams expected this to work at a Rock Festival but Gareth took the chance and the crowd went mad. They just loved it.

Just to say The Feeling were fantastic too and so glad to see Gareth hanging out with them after.

Just to say a very big thank you for the reports about Gareth at Hyde Park and for the version of SITS!

It's great to hear that he had such a good reception at a gig like this, and as many people have said, hopefully he's chipping away at the mis-conceptions some people have of him from Pop Idol days.

I have to add that all the recent interviews have been really good, and the interviewers have all taken Gareth seriously and shown him respect as an artist. "Something For The Weekend" was a good example. It might take time, but I'm sure he's getting there!

I'm really looking forward to getting the album tomorrow!

Thanks everyone!

I'm not sure how to make this smaller to get it onto YouTube, but I have managed to upload this clip of Gareth singing New Kid in town. Sorry, the sound didn't record that well, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it anyway. :laugh:

But be warned, it's a very big file - 132MB! And if anyone can reduce it in size to below 100MB, can you please do so. :thumbsup:

*Right click to download*

Thank you so much for the video Snowdrop.

What would we do without ppl like you, videoing for ppl like me that can't attend these performances.

Another report from Hyde Park - a little bit late from the cat that got the cream!! :D:D

I decided I could go at the very last minute and luckily for me I only live about an hour away from Hyde Park! I didn't even have a ticket and accosted a very burly ticket tout outside the tube station - Blimey! The things we do for this man!! I joined the queue to get into the park, and was a bit late so I kept sneeking past people (don't you just hate queue jumpers!) Got in - very pleased ticket was O.K. - headed straight for the Pepsi Tent where Gareth was and got there literally with 5 mins to spare!

Was happily surprised to see so many people in there, and especially pleased to see so many men. As everyone else who was there has said the performance was fantastic, Gareth's voice was very strong and I must say his group were terrific too - I think the group also earned him a bit of street cred. I had a great view, again by worming my way through the crowd and ended up standing next to a big burly biker looking man complete with kerchief on his head. I watched him and he was really enjoying the set - he even took some pictures towards the end on his phone. I also heard a young girl in her twenties turn to her boyfriend and say " I can't believe I have some Gareth Gates on my phone" I can honestly say I didn't see anyone who didn't look like they were enjoying the performance.

After it was over I met up with some of the others and we decided after calming down to go and watch the Feeling on the main stage. To cut a long story short I went off to get something to eat and couldn't find my way back to the others - So, I walked right to the edge of the audience and was walking along trying to find the others when OMG there right in front of my eyes was the man himself!! Gareth was watching the Feeling with Suzanne and Michael Hay. Well what can you do! I texted like mad to the others to come over - twice! Meanwhile I had the delight of watching him enjoy himself. I saw several people go up to him to speak or get an autograph! I didn't like to go and interupt him and was quite happy to stand and enjoy the moment. But I did get my big chance - I didn't see him leave the group as I was texting the others again, but a few mins later I did see him and Michael walking right back towards me with a couple of beers in their hands! Well, this was it ! I turned round right in his path with a great big grin on my face - "Gareth! I said I really enjoyed your performance - it was great" I told him how much I enjoyed his music and how I couldn't wait until Monday to get the album. I told him about the "hairy biker" and that made him laugh. He thanked me for coming, and I told him to enjoy the rest of his day and said goodbye. He gave me a lovely grin and said bye. :wub::wub:

Thats it really - the girls just about forgave me! but honestly I did try to tell them!! What a fantastic day, and to think I nearly didn't get there at all!!