Boogie Nights Tour begins! (Jan 31 - 20 April)

eternal

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NicolaJayne

Sounds such a fab show and great to hear that your friend who is not a G fan kept saying Gareth is lovely.

It seems Gareth is winning over more new fans with this show, I have a FB friend who is an avid Chico fan and has shared the Puppy Love Video and a pic of Gareth with the Osmonds.

Janice so glad you had a good time.

Those photos are absolutely fab. Please thank your friend.

They have made me smile too. Gareth is brave isn't he?

we did :) we never did stage door just had a nice meal before and really enjoy the whole show

chico is topless quite a lot

Guest NicolaJayne

WOW! These pics are fantastic Thank you so much to Janice and Friend and Heather for posting them. It takes courage to go topless alongside Chico but Gareth looks pretty good.

my sister in law gone tonight wonder what she think of show

Any verdict from her yet Janice?

A review from Northampton :thumbsup:http://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/theatre/theatre-review-boogie-nights-1-4760261

Published on Wednesday 6 February 2013 15:30

You know that when your husband sitting next to you at a theatre show looks at you with a “help, please let’s escape” look in his eyes that you are in trouble.

But no, I did not obey his request to flee the ‘70s musical Boogie Nights last night at the Royal & Derngate in Northampton, but I stuck it out, instead obeying my commitment to cheesy nostalgia.

In one way that was a good decision and in another it wasn’t.

The show revolves around the story of bad boy Roddy O’Neil (Shane Richie Junior) whose love of women and boogie-ing gets him into trouble with his girlfriend Debs and ends up changing the course of his life.

Describing the tale in this way gives the illusion that this is the kind of musical that depends greatly on its storyline, but the plot comes across as fairly incidental to the show.

What greets the audience is a chaotic mass of ‘70s songs, some performed in full, and some just snippets, delivered one after the other with loosely linked dialogue in between.

This may sound like a criticism, but I didn’t actually mind this. The story was so cringingly unrealistic, poorly characterised and, in my opinion, not terribly well acted, that I yearned for the entertaining musical interludes.

The show really turned itself around for me when three of the Osmond brothers, Jimmy, Merrill and Jay, made their way onto the stage. These three are real stars, giving fantastic vocal performances of hit after hit, including their own Crazy Horses.

I was particularly impressed when they started speaking to the crowd and asking for requests, spontaneously bursting into harmonious song in perfect unison without the support of any backing music. I realised quickly that these brothers are famous for a reason.

At one point singer Gareth Gates, as Dean, gave a performance of Puppy Love with the brothers (taking Donny’s place) and he rose to the challenge brilliantly. Former X Factor finalist Andy Abraham, as the soul singer Spencer, also belted out some excellent vocal numbers.

If this show had simply dedicated itself to being a humorous ‘70s concert I think I would have preferred it, but the badly woven passages of storyline seemed to interrupt the brilliance of the show...its music.

As an added point, in my view, Louisa Lytton as Debs could do with working on her vocal performances to appear in a musical of this kind as, although she hits the right notes, her voice seems to fail to pack the punch needed to fill a theatre.

Having said this, the performers work really hard to generate a lot of audience participation and energy and, despite the weak story and dodgy outfits, Boogie Nights spreads a lot of joy and definitely inspires audiences to sing, dance and have fun; a trait which has to be commended.

Guest NicolaJayne

Thank you Heather for putting the "Puppy Love" video on here, What a performance from Gareth and the Osmonds and agree it would be worth going for this one song, always liked the Osmonds but can see now why they are still such big stars.

Thank you also to Chris for the review, I hope all Gareths fans can get to one of these shows, which is what is so good about it touring.