Movies & Musicals - Apollo Theatre

Val4Gareth

Thanks for that great report Elaine. It was nice to meet up with you and Linda again.

I can't add anything more either to what you've both said other than to say I'm still reliving the great night in my head, Just so wished Gareth was the one singing Oh Holy Night.

We saw Ann and Vera who was sat in front of us but not to speak to, but I have to say what a lovely friendly person Ann's husband Peter is, Went out of his way to raise his hand and say Hello even though he was quite some way away from us.

Only problem for me was my journey once again. My train up was delayed for 1 hour and 57 minutes. Eventually got there about 40 minutes before ValR had booked our table to eat, so it was a mad dash to change and get out again. Consequently I forgot to take Gareth's Christmas card which I'd taken with me out of my bag, Didn't realize until I was sat in the Theatre, so I'm going to have to post it to him now.

Can't wait till next year and we start hearing about some more events to book for.

I too want to thank ValR for all the arrangements she made for us all.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've really enjoyed reading all the reports. Sounds as though it was a fabulous night. How do you all think the concert compared with Momentous Musicals. I really enjoyed that evening in Bradford in the summer and would have liked to have seen this concert too if it hadn't been on a Sunday. Gareth is extremely busy at the moment and it must be very difficult for him to fit everything in.

Had a fantastic time in London, the show was great although I was a little disappointed by the way Gareth was treated.Biggins completly ignored him.(I know you said Gareth was a guest Chris but he should have been introduced properly the same as Sarah and the choir were by Biggins.) JOJ and Louise Dearman had a big introductions from Biggins with a synopsis of their careers .The only introduction Gareth got was by Louise when she brought him on to sing with her and she said "my good friend Gareth Gates"

Gareth's voice is just magical loved the clarity of the words in" Eye of the Sparrow " and the really deep clear tones in "Empty Chairs"

Gareth was in a dark grey suit with a shirt and tie the same colour,he looked very smart,as always.

In the christmas medley at the end JOJ sang his new single "Oh Holy night" with the Gospel Choir, I thought the first three lines were lovely,after that it was awful,Christmas Carol Hymns should not be belted out like that.Gareth, Sarah and Louise then joined JOJ on stage for the Finale,Gareth was stood next to Louise and they looked as if they were really enjoying themselves.

JOJ was in the foyer at the end selling and signing his album,Gareth and Louise were at the stage door meeting their fans.

As we were waiting at the stage door for Val to get her programme signed, the man stood next to me who was also sat in front of me in the theatre(he was involved with the show ) remarked in a very surprised voice that there were more people waiting to see "Gareth Gates" than there was to see Louise Dearman.

Matt, Scott, Faye and Matt's parents were waiting for Gareth at the stage door,when 2 taxis pulled up Faye got in the first,Gareth ran and jumped in with her, ,the 2nd taxi with Scott,Matt and his parents followed them. Some people were moaning that Gareth had left so quickly and he'd never looked or waved as they drove off.

Consequently I forgot to take Gareth's Christmas card which I'd taken with me out of my bag, Didn't realize until I was sat in the Theatre, so I'm going to have to post it to him now.

I am very disappointed in Faye giving you Gareth's home address to post his card,it's naughty and unprofessnal,don't think Gareth would be pleased either.

Guest NicolaJayne

Thanks for all the info about JOJ being in the Foyer Doris was thinking that he never came out as the only person I saw come out to fans at the stage door was Gareth. I didn't see Gareth go just realised when Val said he had gone very quickly there one minute and away the next, also didn't realise Faye was at the show. Thanks for that info. Probably all going to an after show party. Gareth did seem in a hurry trying to see everyone in the queue quickly. JOJ never looks as smart as Gareth Chris he didn't at Momentous Musicals and don't think he wore a tie then. . I agree about Peter Val he went out of his way to come over and chat to us in the foyer before we went in, he is always very friendly, Shame you had a bad journey there and forgot Gareth's card, being so rushed.

i am enclosing my pics one of me is awful too near the camera but lovely of Gareth and cut half of Natasha off on the other one. The others are just random shots took of Gareth

post-43-0-91996900-1386029976_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-39738200-1386029992_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-67974100-1386030024_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-26901900-1386030093_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-45242300-1386030254_thumb.jpg

I totally agree with you that Gareth should have been introduced in the same way the others were. To be honest I didn't think Biggins was the right choice for a show like that and he didn't say anything spontaneously. Just read from a piece of paper and messed that up sometimes and a comment he made to Louise about her body parts was totally inappropriate. Also agree about Oh Holy Night. Didn't enjoy it at all. I too was surprised Faye gave me an address for the card as it was totally off her own back. I didn't ask her for it. Just told her I'd forgotten to pick up the card and she said Gareth would want me to send it to him. She must know what he would have thought so I'm not that worried and certainly wouldn't pass it on to anyone else,

To answer your query about the two shows Barbiegirl, I didn't think this one was as good as Momentous Musicals. It was good and maybe it was because it wasn't Gareth's show like MM was, but I enjoyed MM more.

Thanks for putting up your pictures Elaine. They are lovely. Think Katy Segal is in the back of one of them. You can see how smart Gareth looked in them.

Nice article from The Public Reviews

http://www.thepublicreviews.com/movies-and-musicals-apollo-victoria-london/

Movies and Musicals – Apollo Victoria, London
Reviewer: Fran Beaton The Public Reviews Rating: star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pnghalfstar.png

moviesandmusicals-300x169.jpgWhat a delightful way to spend an evening. Movies and Musicals at the Apollo Victoria theatre sees some of the biggest names in musical theatre take to the stage alongside the LSG orchestra and the West End gospel choir, charging through classics from Les Miserables, Phantom, and Rent as well as movie classics such as the theme tunes from Star Wars and Jurassic Park.

It is wonderful, and rare, to have the orchestra on the stage. LSGO has some much talent among it that it is shocking to learn this is not a professional orchestra. Despite out of their usual repertoire with these musical theatre classics, each song was performed with enthusiasm and elegance, respectful of the singers and clearly enjoying every moment.

There is so much talent among the leads, it is an absolute joy to watch. The casting is intelligent in that the four leads are so different in their style and tone that they compliment each other wonderfully. Hearing Louise Dearman attack ‘Defying Gravity’ sends shivers down the spine. Her voice is, unsurprisingly, technically spot on and she appears to be able to tackle just about any piece from the most notoriously hard song in musical theatre to an emotional version of ‘Beauty and the Beast’ alongside Gareth Gates.

And speaking of Gates, my ten year old self was far too excited to hear him perform ‘Unchained Melody’. Having not seen him in a musical before, I was delighted to hear how beautifully he tackled Marius’ songs. Sarah Lark is utterly adorable and chose charming pieces such as ‘As Long As He Needs Me’. Her performances are slick and competent and her voice has the most beautifully crisp tone.

But it is John Owen Jones who steals the shows. He gets the balance perfect between singing the Phantom and Les Mispieces that he is know for alongside slightly more unusual pieces such as a James Bond song. Towards the end he performed his new single, ‘O Holy Night’ and I could have sat and listened to him sing that song forever. His performances are flawless, his rapport with the audience engaging, and his voice rivalled by none.

Were one to find fault in this evening, it could be found in the West End gospel. Though clearly talented and making a wonderful noise, the choir takes some warming up in the first act. By the second act, they were more in their element. There are remarkable soloists among the group but it appears they are more comfortable with the gospel repertoire than with the musical theatre. That said, when they get into it, they make an amazing sound and perform with such enthusiasm that the audience cannot fail but love them.

Movies and Musicals is a great idea, especially since it seems out of vogue at the moment to revisit such classic musical theatre pieces. It is a shame that this is the only night of the performance in London. It would work wonderfully as a weekly Sunday night engagement and with lead singers such as were present for this one, they would be sure to bring in the crowds.

Thank you so much Chris, Val, Elaine and Doris for your lovely reports from the show :) glad you had a great time.

I'm sad to hear Biggins was ignorant towards Gareth Doris, he's probably one of them people who don't like it when people from a reality show make it in theatre but even so there's no need to be ignorant, I remember JOJ being skeptical too when he heard Gareth had the part of Marius but at least once he heard Gareth his mind changed, i never been keen on Biggins anyway.

I'm loving the pics Elaine :) x

Movies and Musicals on FB have just posted a video of Gareth and Louise singing Tale As Old As Time from someone called Sophie Benson, mostof it anyway as she says her memory was filled up before it finished.

(My editing name is showing because I am trying to embedd the video....but can't for some reason)

Oops I thought Gareth was wearing a black outfit but can now see from Elaine's photos it was grey. Whatever, he looked so nice as do the photos Elaine. Thanks for putting them on here.

Maria, Biggins asn't ignorant towards Gareth at all it's just he didn't get the big introduction like the others.

Loving that review Val. Think it's very honest towards the Gospel Choir.

Maria lovely that we have Beauty and the Beast on here. Thanks. I wonder if that is the proper title?

Guest NicolaJayne

I thought it was a bit weird as Biggins was supposed to be the compere but didn't make a great job of it sometimes just hearing his voice from the wings and not even making an appearance and at other times as in the case of Gareth not introducing him at all. He also embarrassed the female singer by the very inappropriate comment about. Her breast. I normally like him and think he is funny but think he was the wrong choice for this serious show.

Review from West End Frame

http://www.westendframe.com/2013/12/review-moviesandmusicals.html

Review: An Evening of Movies and Musicals at Christmas at the Apollo Victoria Theatre

Momentous-1012.jpg

An Evening of Movies and Musicals at Christmas
Apollo Victoria Theatre
Reviewed on Sunday 1st December 2013
4+star.jpg
Last Sunday some of the West End's biggest stars came together with a fifty piece orchestra to celebrate some of the biggest songs from some of the best loved movies and musicals of all time. To welcome the festive season a few Christmas songs were added to the line-up. The evening was a huge success and was the perfect way to welcome in the festive season.
The orchestra, conducted by Matthew J Hampson, filled the huge stage at the Apollo Victoria and as they began playing the Star Wars theme I think the entire audience were taken aback by their tremendous sound. The evening showcased a good mix of songs and was broken up by instrumental sections which paid tribute to various movies including Jurassic Park, James Bond and E.T. The West End Gospel Choir also brightened up the theatre with their huge passion and presence for several numbers.
Momentous-1014.jpg
The first West End star to step foot on the stage was current Les Miserables cast member Sarah Lark who famously partook in 'I'd Do Anything'. Sarah gave a lively rendition of 'Blow Gabriel Blow' from Anything Goes and later returned in the second act to belt out a powerful yet heartbreaking 'As Long As He Needs Me', proving she would have been a worthy winner of Andrew Lloyd Webber's BBC casting show. My only complaint is that we didn't see more of Sarah throughout the evening! She has the most incredible voice and loveable personality which brightened up the stage.
Louise Dearman returned to the Apollo Victoria, where she previously made history when she became the first actress to play both Elphaba and Glinda in Wicked, for the evening. She first treated the audience to 'Home' from The Wiz which also features on her new album 'It's Time'. I loved the song on the album but loved it even more live. 'Home' fits Louise's voice perfectly and showcases her impressive vocal range and effortless vocal talents. In Louise's own words, she couldn't return to the Apollo Victoria without paying tribute to Wicked. Firstly it was interesting to watch her take on 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' from The Wizard Of Oz. She then later belted out a fearless version of 'Defying Gravity' from Wicked which left many open mouthed.
While Gareth Gates (pictured above) is best known for his music career in recent years he has become an established musical theatre performer, having played leading roles in Joseph, Les Miserables, Legally Blonde and Loserville. I am always very technical when it comes to reviewing vocal performances, and I was completely taken aback by his incredibly soulful rendition of 'His Eye Is On The Sparrow'. His vocal gymnastics were highly impressive! He then treated the audience to a strong performance of 'Unchained Melody' (why not?).
Momentous-1003.jpg
The entire show was stolen by John Owen-Jones (pictured right). Despite having played both the title role in The Phantom of the Opera and Jean Valjean in Les Miserables thousands of times it is remarkable that he still performs numbers from both musicals so sincerely. After performing songs such as 'Bring Him Home' and 'Music Of The Night' so many times it would be easy to give a lazy rendition but John certainly did not hold back.

The softer side of John's voice is so gentle and crystal clear whilst there is not a word to describe the power and strength when he hits those huge notes. John also performed his new single 'O Holy Night' which was one of my favourite performances of the evening, I have since downloaded the song which showcases his phenomenal range and ability to tell a story through song.

An Evening of Movies and Musicals at Christmas was hosted by the one and only Christopher Biggins who was in his element! He belongs on stage! At one point during the evening John Owen-Jones made a joke about Biggins who erupted into fits of laughter backstage. His mic wasn't on but you could still hear his bellowing, famous laugh right from the back of the stalls.

I have attended several of these theatrical concert shows this year and am yet to see one which doesn't feature a Les Miserables section. However, if I did I think I would be disappointed as even out of context Claude-Michel Schönberg and Alain Boublil's score is overwhelmingly touching. The Christmas section which ended the evening was truly heart-warming. None of the performers took themselves too seriously which was nice as it made the atmosphere more relaxed.

An Evening of Movies and Musicals at Christmas was a hugely successful event. There weren't too many awkward moments and the audience seemed to leave with smiles on their faces. Four West End stars and a fifty piece orchestra is always going to be a recipe for theatrical bliss. I can think of worse ways to spend a Sunday night!

Reviewed by Andrew Tomlins (Editor)

That's a fabulous review Val.

Very complimentary about all the performers so he obviously enjoyed the evening very much.

This is a fine compliment:

I am always very technical when it comes to reviewing vocal performances, and I was completely taken aback by his incredibly soulful rendition of 'His Eye Is On The Sparrow'. His vocal gymnastics were highly impressive!